New to the OAC?|
What We Do
OPENAIR Circus is a non-profit community-based circus. Our primary program is our summer circus, where we offer classes and performances each summer. In addition, we offer workshops and a teen-leadership program, and performance opportunities to people of all ages.
From the end of June through the end of July we teach circus and performing skills in a non-competitive atmosphere. Our classes are 1 hour long in the afternoon. A registration fee of $20/child or $30/family covers as many classes as the student is interested in. To see what our schedule typically looks like, here is last year's class schedule.
We then rehearse for a week, and put on four full circus performances under a big top, typically in Nunziato Field, in Union Square, Somerville, during the first weekend in August.
Registration typically opens June 1st each summer.
If you have any questions, please contact Peter Jehlen at email@example.com.
Workshops and Parties
We also hold workshops, mostly at festivals such as ArtBeat, Cambridge Carnival and various Somerstreets events. These workshops tend to involve our teaching stilting to participants for free in a 1-on-1 fashion. Each student gets several minutes of trying out stilting, with most adults and roughly half of children ending up being able to walk without assistance (though still being spotted) by the end of their turn. We also teach at parties and hold lessons for organizations. Click here for more details.
To stay up on our performances, workshops, the summer session, and every other thing that's going on, please contact Peter Jehlen at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us what you're interested in hearing about.
Know the basics?
Want to Help Out?
Click here for a list of some of the volunteer opportunities we have available
Support Us through Amazon Smile:
Support us when you shop on Amazon.com by going to http://smile.amazon.com/ref=org_sls_rlp_sas_sml, 0.5% of eligible purchases will be donated to the OPENAIR Circus!
Upcoming Important Dates:
- Sep 9 - Cambridge Carnival - Stilting Workshop 1-4pm (further details will be provided shortly)
- Sep 16 - Somerstreets (Highland Ave) - Stilting Workshop (further details will be provided shortly)
- Sep 22 - Belmont Fall Festival - Stilting Workshop (further details will be provided shortly)
- Sep 22 - RiverSing - Parade (confirmation of participation pending)
- Oct 7 - Honk! - Parade (further details will be provided shortly)
- Oct 14 - Somerstreets (Somerville Ave) - Stilting Workshop (further details will be provided shortly)
- Nov 11 - OAC Maker's Day - juggling supplies and stilt making workshop (further details will be provided shortly)
- Dec 31 - First Night - Parade (confirmation of participation pending)
Check us out on Twitter
For updates and weather related schedule changes